Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Monday, January 30, 2006

I Started Something I Couldn't Finish.


"Now why couldn't I have thought of that 10 minutes ago. Doh!! Too late now...she'll be long gone and anyway IKEA is not the kind of place to do this kind of thing is it?"

No I haven't started talking to myself (I've been doing that for years), I am just giving myself a bit of a telling off for not continuing a conversation with a real live woman yesterday when the opportunity arose in the IKEA canteen.

I'd gone there to buy myself a new lamp which, as luck would have it, was out of stock. This is a bit of a bugger cos it's a nice lamp. I already have a green one on my desk but thought a blue one would go well in my bedroom. Anyway, I've distracted myself with all this talk of lighting.

Rob, Jim and me had settled down for a smorgasbord of Swedish Meatballs and chips, when a a young woman sat down on the table next to ours. She had her son, who was about four with her and not only did she have the most beautiful ice blue eyes, she wasn't married either (well she wasn't wearing a ring at any rate). As she sat down she said to her son that she had forgotten to get spoons for their afters (jelly, one red, one lime green). After a bit I realised I had forgotten a spoon for my afters too (Dutch Apple Pie) so as I was getting up I asked her if I could get her some spoons (see the age of gallantry is not dead, it may not be slaying dragons but it isn't that far off). Later she asked if I would be sitting at the table for a while longer as she had to take the little one to the loo and would I mind watching her table. Now this is where I fucked up. When she got back she said thanks etc and I didn't cease the day and start chatting!! It was down to my usual problem. I didn't want to seem pushy, or the type of bloke that chats up women on their own. As I went she even said goodbye to me so I'm sure it would have been okay to chat with her. She even had her son with her so I could have started by asking him what jelly he was going to choose (I thought of this at about 1 o'clock this morning, which you will agree is a tad too late).

Hopefully, I won't be such a scardy cat next time. At least I started a conversation, even if I couldn't finish it.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

Thirding what the others have said, at least you identified this as an opportunity, even if it happened ten minutes too late. Perhaps a few months ago you might not have even realised the lost potential.

However, what you did fail to see is that Ikea is so the place for that sort of thing; you are surrounded by sensual shapes and textures, it is a very sexy place.

4:51 pm

 
Blogger pete said...

Rob and Jim must be good mates if your meatballs were still there when you got back! I wud 'ave etten them! ;-)

7:36 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Thanks folks,

I do see it as a step in the right direction. I'll focus on that bit.

As for IKEA, I love it. Great for candles, so it is. And kitchen stuff too.

Pete,

Your as bad as my kits you are. Can't leave your grub for a second ;-)

8:13 pm

 
Blogger pete said...

My son-in-law who is an Architect (worked for an housing assoc. at the time) helped design the flat pack houses. Small world eh?

I wouldn't buy one of those though!

9:38 pm

 
Blogger stella said...

Ahhh an IKEA almost-romance.... Had one of those myself once. Shopping with my sister I happened past this fantastic looking ottoman. I decided I needed a change of surface, so I hopped out of my chair for a bit of a lie down. A rather fabulous looking boy (wearing a Smiths t-shirt no less!) spotted me and came over to point out that I could save myself a lot of money on a bed because I could fit on the ottoman. We then had a slightly strange conversation about the possibility of sewing my own bed linen to fit on it before he remarked "the downside is, there's really only room for one".

Looking back on it, it was a prime opportunity to point out that I had a much bigger bed with PLENTY of room for two back at my place.....

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, ey?

2:58 am

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Stella

When you come over to the UK I'll take you to IKEA and we can lay in wait for unsuspecting singletons. If they are cute, we'll pounce and whisk them off to have our evil way ;-)

By the way, don't you realise that any boy wearing a Smiths tee-shirt is a very delicate thing. They lie about in the dark being miserable (I am speaking from experience here) and being propositioned by a hip chick reclining on an Ottoman IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!! would have made his head blow up ;-0 Ha ha!!

3:54 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home