Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Wrapped Up In Books.

Today is World Book Day. It's day when books are celebrated in all their glory. I really don't know what I'd do without books. I cannot remember the last time when I didn't have a book on the go. It is probably my greatest pleasure. I love people to tell me about great books they have read and recommend them to me. Likewise I like to do the same in return.

With her endorsement of Skallagrigg, Lady Brackenll has not only left me permenanatly tattooed on my right calf, but has caused an upsurge in sales of William Horwood's magnificent novel. I bought it, The Goldfish bought it and my new friend Lily e-mailed me the other day to tell me that she had ordered it from Amazon after I mentioned it in an e-mail to her. She informed me this week that she was totally engrossed in it from the start.This is the most wonderful thing about books. People can lose themselves totally between the covers of a great book (or any book, it doesn't have to be great).

Last night I went to friend Debi's for tea and sat with her 6 year old son while he did his reading homework. What a joy that was. Someone so young who loves his books. My 4 year old niece loves books and knows her Angelina Ballerina stories so well that she tells me off if I try and skip a bit when I'm reading her one. Maybe th efuture is bright. Two young children who both love to pick up a book and get enjoyment from it.

World Book Day is trying to encourage people who don't usually read to pick up a book and find out what a complete joy reading is. I seriously hope it has an impact.

2 Comments:

Blogger stella said...

Have you read Cloudstreet by Tim Winton?

BRILLIANT! Although it might take you a bit to get your head around some of the extreme Aussie-isms. It's sooooo good though.....

12:27 am

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Hi Stell,

'll look out for that one. I did read a really good book by an Australian author recently. 'How The Light Gets In' by M.J. Hyland. It was very good.

Charles,

Eeyore is my hero too. The philosphy of Eeyore is just fantastic. I still read both Grahame and Milne to this day. My nieces (2 AND 4) love both. So there is hope.

MB

11:56 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home