Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thalidomide - The Musical.



I went to see Mat Fraser's Thalidomide - The Musical on Tuesday in Colchester an it was a great night out.

It is a thought provoking, moving and funny musical about a young boy (Fraser) born with phocomelia which causes stunted growth in the limbs. The condition is caused my expectent mothers taking the drug Thalidomide which helped morning sickness but had very serious side affects on their unborn children.

Some critics have rounded on Fraser because of his very frank portrayal of a child growing up with phocomelia but as Mat himself has explained you can only use the experiences you know about.

His co-star is Anna Winslet, older sister of Kate and she is excellent as Katie, the main proganist Glynn's (played by Fraser obviously) love interest and soul mate. The play is full of brilliantly sick jokes and lyrics and is 'a cartoon version of my own life' as Fraser called it in a Guardian interview earlier this month.

It is currently on tour around the country so I'd advise a trip out to see it. Mind you Lady Bracknell, Becca and Turtle are going to see it tonight in Liverpool so I'd steer clear of The Unity Theatre if I were you. I have no idea what is will be like with those three together, but there is bound to be trouble. lol.

I hope you all enjoy it.

2 Comments:

Blogger marmiteboy said...

Hi,

It just so happens I have got the tour flyer with me.

It's at Nottingham Lakeside Arts Centre on Saturday 26th November at 8pm. www.lakesidearts.org.uk

0115 846 7777.

How's that for service ;-)

7:10 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The show has it's own mini web site with tour details, photos and music downloads and much, much more...

Thalidomide!!A Musical

12:03 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home