Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I've kissed Martha Wainwright!!



Well it was a peck on the cheek really but she is a bona fide rock 'n' roll star and has made records and everything.

This momentous event in Marmiteboy's day happened last night at The Cambridge Junction after the opening night of Martha's UK tour. She signed my copy of her cd, which has almost permanent residency in the cd player at the moment and then lent forward for a peck on the cheek. I wasn't the only one mind, she was kissing everybody.

As for the gig? Well it was good without being great. The band do need to tighten up a bit and Martha did keep changing the set about so half the time I'm sure they didn't know what was happening next. She sings like an angel though and has as an easy relaxed manner on stage. I'm sure this comes from being from a family of performers, her Dad is Loundan Wainwright III and her Mum is Kate McGarrigle and her brother Rufus Wainwright.

There were some very good performances despite the shakiness though, Ball and Chain was wonderful as was a couple of French songs she did with her cousin Lilli, akso from the McGarrigle family. The biggest cheer of course was for the quite splendid Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole', which is a track so wonderful it makes the hairs stand up omn the back of my neck when I hear it. I I'm now the owner of a BMFA tee-shirt which I shall not be wearing when I visit my Mum.

I've no doubt as the tour continues she'll get better and better and I look forward to seeing her again.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Goldfish said...

Wooo! I bet she only started kissing everyone else when she saw you at the end of the queue, not wanting to appear to single you out. ;-)

Sounds like a great gig, Marmite. Glad you had a good time.

5:30 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Thanks Goldfish,

Well don't like to boast ;-)

She was a very approachable actually. I was about third in the queue and she was taking time with all of us. I've been in this situation before (not kissing rock stars but getting them to sign stuff) and they are usually not really arsed. She gave everyone a kiss and made them feel valued as a fan.

7:08 pm

 
Blogger pete said...

She comes from good stock as they say. I mean anyone who can write a pen a song about their son called "Rufus Is a Tit Man" can't be all bad, but what has it done to poor Rufus? Oooops I am straying away from the lovely Martha. Now there's something I could eat on toast!

9:37 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw her in newcastle & she blew me away - - absolutely superb, very rock&roll (unexpectedly) & i would reccommend her to anyone

1:10 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home