Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Monday, November 07, 2005

"Just Another Manic Monday"

Feeling rough today, so rough I've started quoting Bangles songs. I had a proper panic attack at teatime today which put me off my lamb stew. This has annoyed me as lamb stew is one of my favourite dinners.

I had been feeling a bit less anxious lately but yesterday I started getting a tight chest again and had a restless 3 hours sleep. I didn't feel too bad in the office but as I got home I felt really strange. I didn't run about like a headless chicken or anything but I felt really physically scared for about an hour and haven't really felt right since.

Dunno what's brought it on today. Maybe it was because I've gone back to work today and I'm a work shy fop? Or maybe the TENS machine has been shaking me insides up? Both of these are highly unlikely. Hopefully I'll be okay again by tomorrow but it does concern me slighty. s I've probably banged on before felt like this twice before and ended up being quite ill with anxiety both times. At least this time I'm on meds for it so I may be able to ward it off. I hd the results of the blood tests and ECG I had the other week recently and thankfully it came up okay. There is nothing physically wrong with me. That's good of course but it worries me that it must mean this is a mental health issue.

5 Comments:

Blogger marmiteboy said...

The TENS machine quote is a joke btw. I know it won't change me psychologically it just struck me as funny that all that extra zapping shakes your insides up.

I haven't Bach Flower Remedies. I'll look into them. Ta.

1:07 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Thanks Mumpy,

Marmite hid under the bed at the weekend because of firework night but Twiglet just slept on the desk next to me whilst I was on the computer. During one massive bang he raised his head and had a look round as if to say "who's making all the racket" and then went back to sleep :-)

1:54 pm

 
Blogger The Goldfish said...

Actually Charles rang a bell in my head which hadn't been rung earlier when you've talked about panic attacks. Following my very bad reaction to prozac, I had a period when I would suddenly become very anxious and panicky. I have all but forgotten this because this was very early on in my illness and it's all a haze now. However I do recall Bach "Rescue Remedy" (available from Holland & Barrett and probably Boots, Superdrug etc) did help a lot.

It may be largely the placebo effect of adminisitering it (you squeeze a drop under the tongue) but often any kind of 'ritual' behaviour is very effective in dealing with psychological emergencies. I mean, when you are panicking, you can't very well sit down and talk about your feelings.

However, occupying yourself with a simple unchallenging task may be enough to distract the parts of your brain which have become over-excited.

Really hope they get to the bottom of this soon Marmite and that in the meantime you can find some relief.

2:26 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Thanks folks,

I will look into this stuff. It is odd though because in my head I don't feel panicky at all. I know of people who have attacks and they are running around thinking they are about to die and it really freaks them out (no wonder, it must be very scary).

What I get is just the physical feeling of that. Maybe it's the same as other people only I can rationalise it because I know what is happening and thus prevent the freaking out. My sister, who was a nurse and has worked in the menatl health field believes that they are panic attacks and that they have not been treated properly. If this episode doesn't clear up in teh next week or so it will be back to the doctors again to see if there is anything else they can do. I the mean time I will pop to Holland and Barratt's and get some Bach stuff.

Thanks again for all your advice.

3:17 pm

 
Blogger Katie said...

Rescue remedy is good Marmiteboy! My mum used to have it when she was alive and took it when she felt bad and it always seemed to perk her up! So it comes highly recommended by me!

1:40 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home