Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Music Is The Key Of Life.

As I have been off work for what now seems like an inordinate amount of time I had started to worry a bit when my usual obsession with music began to wane a bit. It seemed like an age since I had sat down and listened to any Cd's. I found myself either watching crap cable tv shows about cooking or cars or reading.

Now don't get me wrong, I love reading and I have read some terrific books over the last couple of months. I can wholeheartedly recommend Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" which explains his atheism and lays bare many of the manipulative behaviours of the fundamentalist Christian church (particularly in America) . On a similar theme Chris Hodges' book "American Fascists" is a commentary on the American Christian Right. It is an insightful and scary book about just how far the fundamentalist churches in the US have gained positions of power in the government. It is a wake up call to all rational thinking people.

Anyway, I have got off topic a bit, so back, as they say in all the worst radio programmes, to the music. It was the arrival of my laptop and the ability to burn Cd's that awoke my love of music. I have been making mix 'tapes' (okay, Cd's!) for the car and having great fun. I have found my way back to loud guitar music such as Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du, Pavement, Sebodah and the wondrous Sonic Youth, who have become my favourite band at the moment. I only had a few Sonic Youth albums, namely Dirty, Goo, The Whitey Album (Ciccone Youth) and Washing Machine among them but I'm afraid I've given Amazon a bit of a bashing in the last few weeks and chalked up five more purchases, so that now I have 12 Sonic Youth albums. I really, really like Sonic Youth and can't wait to see them at the end of August when they showcase the seminal 1988 album Daydream Nation at the Roundhouse in London.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fundamentalists scare the sh*t out of me in any area.

Bible-Belt Christians, Taliban, hard-line atheist Communist, the Spanish Inquisition (even if nobody expects it)seem to lead straight to inhumanity to other humans or other living creatures in the name of a superior power, whether that be a god or human reason.

10:27 am

 
Blogger Philip. said...

You want some music - go get yourself into progresive rock - Yes, King Crimson, rick Wakeman etc. - you'll love it!

You want books to read - go read Terry Pratchett - I love them!!

Keep up the great blogging.

Philip
http://www.disabled-help.org
http://www.disabilityblog.org

1:55 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home