Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

War On Terror Causes Terror.

According to a report released today by the US Government and reported on here, the war on terror has increased the possibility of terrorist attacks on US interests.

Should we be surprised at this? I think not. Okay I admit I did not support the invasion of Iraq. I still believe very strongly that there was no justification for it. I also believe however, that there are many people out there that have an equally strong belief in the opposite view. Whilst I'll disagree with them vermently I cannot argue with their conviction.

I do not however understand how George Bush can still stand up and say that:

"I think it's a mistake for people to believe that going on the offence against people that want to do harm to the American people makes us less safe."

I can understand he may believe that he should go on the offence, although I don't agree with him. But I don't think he should be burying his head in the sand. The suicide bombings in Iraq and for that matter, Afghanistan, are directly linked to the US/NATO troops being there in the first place. I don't believe that the attack on the Underground in London would have happened if we hadn't been involved in Iraq either. However large or small the threat from Islamic terrorism is, and I'm at odds at the perceived scale of this too, the demonisation of a peaceful religion is an outrage, it has been increased by the 'War On Terror'.

This is totally obvious to me. In wars people tend to fight back. Terrorists are just going to roll over and give up, I wish they would but it ain't going to happen. The threat is greater than before the 'War On Terror' began. And in my opinion it is greater because of it rather than despite it.

3 Comments:

Blogger James Medhurst said...

It is a big surprise - that someone actually admitted it.

11:05 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Well James I think it kinda slipped out. I think the Bush administration was pissed off that the report was leaked.

8:16 am

 
Blogger The Goldfish said...

I must say I'm always cautious about anything which suggests that one wrong leads inevitably to another wrong. If someone breaks into my house and I go beat up their granny, doesn't mean that they caused me to beat up their granny. But they did give me an excuse, without which I may not have beaten up their granny.

Not, of course, that I would like to beat up anybody's granny, but you take my point.

Certainly, the actions of our governments have not made the terror situation any better... However, Iraq did not want to do harm to the American people. I mean, even the alleged WMDs did not have a range that might hurt America.

And that is exactly what I find so frightening; I think I have heard four or five entirely separate explanations for why we went into Iraq. Which implies that either our leader don't really know why, or that they don't want us to know why.

1:37 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home