Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Friday, September 15, 2006

An End Of An Era.

Tomorrow is a sad day in the life of Marmiteboy. The record shop I have been buying my music from since I was 14 years old is closing down for good. The Golden Disc has been a constant in Queens Road in Southend for as long as I can remember. I bought some shocking old shite in there when I didn't know any better, but then buying crap records is part of anyones musical upbringing, isn't it?

I bought some hum-dingers though. I bought Movement by New Order the day it came out. I remember having to order Life's A Riot by Billy Bragg because at the time it wasn't being properly distributed in the shops. And I probably bought all The Smiths singles on 12 inch, apart form You Handsome Devil ( because there wasn't a 12 inch) there too.

Over the years The Golden Disc has changed its modus operandi. With the advent of the big two (Virgin and HMV) hitting town in the 1990's, Golden Disc changed from the usual outlet selling new releases, chart stuff and so on, to a second hand store. This is where they came into their own. If ever a bargain was to be had it was in Golden Disc. Over the last 15 years or so I have spent an absolute fortune in this shop. In fact me and several of my mates have probably kept them afloat. I reckon on a good third of my 800+ cd's have come from there. This does not include all the vinyl I bought in the old days either.

In the last 3 weeks, as they been having a closing down sale, I have bought about 20 albums from them. Only today I bought Woman's Gotta Have It by Cornershop, Whites Off Earth Now by The Cowboy Junkies and Let Me Come Over by Buffalo Tom all for under 11 quid!! Bargain or what. Last week I forked out for Get Behind Me Satan by The White Stripes for a fiver, a couple of Arab Strap albums for 4 quid each and an early Afghan Whigs cd for 3 quid.

Unfortunately for me and thankfully for my bank balance, tomorrow it all stops. Lunchtime will never be the same again as my and Jock Pop wouild often trawl through the racks looking for new stock. Farewell the Golden Disc and good luck John in whatever you choose to do next. It's been an expensive blast.

3 Comments:

Blogger Agent Fang said...

That's a sad, sad thing to hear. You always know when you go into a place like that - something about the atmosphere, the passion of the owner - and the space... usually physically small, yet somehow posessing the qualities of a whole universe. That can't be generated by the big companies.

4:09 pm

 
Blogger E F RICE said...

Yep I agree with you MB. Will be a shame to see it close, also seemed to be a great meeting place for all the town's resident nutters ! Always amazed me the place looked a complete shambles but there were bargains everywhere.

For the record my last Golden Disc purchase was The Best of Cream.

11:14 pm

 
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

This nostalgia is all very well, but when will Young Master Marmite be divulging his guest blogging venture to his rapt public?

8:19 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home