Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Can We Have The Slits Again!



Lily and Sybil came round for tea last night and when they arrived I was playing the seminal first album by the Punk-Dub band The Slits. Realeased in 1979 on the back of the punk explosion it is a marvellous cacophony of shrieking vocals, jagged guitar and heavy basslines.

Anyway, when they arrived at Chez Marmite I turned off the cd player and turned on Boomerang on cable for Sybil to watch as she has recently become a cartoon fan. Sybil then asked me to put the music on. I then had to play the album no less than four times.

Lily is not a fan of my type of music generally and was complaining how dreadful it was. I had to laugh. Everytime the album finished Sybil said 'Can we have The Slits again?' I even gave her the option of something else but she was insistant 'No, The Slits'.

I'm extremely happy about this turn of events. Sybils tastes in music are quite varied. Up until now she has listened to R&B, which isn't a favourite of mine I can tell you. It seems I may have an Indy Kid on my hands which is fantastic. I'm trying her with The Fall and The Gang Of Four next.

Happy days!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Marmiteboy, You may be interested in this link-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/items/04/2006_26_tue.shtml

You might find it interesting as it talks about Attitude is everything and there's a Radio 2 prog tonight about disabled musicians. Sorry for being off topic too.

5:09 pm

 
Blogger Nicola said...

Yay! Pogues! Rum Sodomy and the Lash! Great stuff!

my punk knowledge is crap....i have two clash albums and a cheap ramones best of LOL

Please for the love of god tell me nu metal is a joke.....

9:43 pm

 
Blogger Nicola said...

Actually i partly take that back i DO like Rage Against The Machine's first album but ssshhhh i didn't tell you that

9:44 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Nothing wrong with Rage Against The Machines first album. Got it meself.

The Slits are much more reggae than punk really. No noisy guitars per se. They do a fab version of 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' which is all big basslines and bad vocals. Bloody brilliant stuff.

7:21 am

 
Blogger E F RICE said...

Thanks you are quite right, if I listen to this album I will be totally amazed...... I have heard bits n pieces of Linkin Park over the years and I'm not a fan, each to their own I guess.

12:15 pm

 
Blogger Slits Fan said...

The Slits are the greatest. You should be excited!

7:24 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home