Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Anyone But Brazil.

The World Cup is upon us and so far it's been a cracking tournament. With very few exceptions (England v Paraguay and France v Switzerland) the games have been a great advert for football. However, there is one thing that has been bugging me about this years event.

What is it with the British media and Brazil? I'm getting really pissed off with the fawning when any commentator speaks about Brazil. Last night for instance Mark Lawrenceson said that the tournament hadn't started properly until Brazil took to the field. Well excuse me I 've been watching it since last Friday mate. I think you'll find it has started. What's more, John Motson kept giggling with delight everytime a Brazillian touched the ball. And made some crappy excuse when their passes went astray. From what I saw Croatia were giving them a good run for their money and played some lovely stuff themselves but the commentry team couldn't praise them because they aren't the adored Brazil.

Yesterday afternoon I found myself shouting at the radio (something I do quite a lot these days as I enter grumpy old manhood).The reason, the presenter told me that everybodies second team were Brazil!! Bollocks they are. Supporting Brazil is such an easy option. It is like supporting Manchester United because they win all the time (when they did that is). Why would I want to do that?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Brazil or Brazilians. They are a fantastic football team, but there are some other teams playing at Deutschland 2006. According to the British media only England and Brazil are playing this year. I would like to see the other teams getting some respect. If the BBC had their way the Final would be today and it would be England v Brazil (and I'm not sure who they'd want to win).

For the record if England don't win the World Cup (and I'm not sure that they will) I hope either the Czech Republic or Holland win it. In fact I'll go as far as saying that the Czech Republic will win it. But I really don't mind as long as it's ANYONE BUT BRAZIL!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger E F RICE said...

I agree to a certain extent Marmite, I think the neutrals are caught up with the charisma and passion of Brazilian football, not necessarily the success. Personally I'm an England fan with Eire as my back up ! Brazil knocked us out of the last World Cup and I would love to see them out early to improve our slim chances.

BBC commentary .... don't get me started on the Motson / Lawrenson combo !

8:11 pm

 
Blogger stella said...

Meh.... doesn't matter because the Aussies are going to KICK THEIR ARSES anyway. That'll shut em up!!

Marmite, will you take me to a real soccer match when I finally make it over your side of the globe?

1:05 am

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Stella, I will indeed.

I'll take you to see the mighty Southend United. It will be just like watching The Soccer Roo's (circa 1974).

10:22 am

 
Blogger pete said...

Brazil? Nuts!

2:05 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I disagree with British media. Sure England is playing good football, but what about Brazil? God! The 1st game with Croatia was terrible! And also with Australia. For me, the teams that deserve the victory is Argentina or Germany. Holland played also ok, but the last game with Portugal was completely shamed. For both teams.

Brazil? Never, please.

Hugs from Lisbon

11:20 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home