Marmiteboy - Urbane Warrior.

Monday, September 05, 2005

The Liberty Festival

Had a great time at the Liberty Festival on Saturday. It was my second stint at stewarding within a week, only this time I was fitted out like a proper steward with a radio and earpiece so I looked like a member of the CIA (except I was rather conspicuous in a lovely bright yellow tee-shirt).

Liberty is the London Disability Rights festival which is put on by the Mayor of London. London used to enjoy this kind of free festival all the time when there was a GLC until Thatcher disbanded the council in what was a fantastic piece of democracy.

Still we had the last laugh and this kind of event is back.

Loads of disabled singers, dancers, ariel acrobats and comedians took part in the 6 hour festival in Trafalgar Square. The weather was fantastic all day and the crowds of disabled and non-disabled people had a great time.

This was the third Liberty Festival and we had assurances from Ken Livingstone that it would be continuing for the foreseeable future.

Hurrah for that.

I managed to meet up with Pete (aka mentalas) a poster on the Ouch messageboard. It was lovely to see him and sit and have a chat. Hopefully we'll catch up again in the future.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hi Marmiteboy,

I regularly post on the ouch boards as you know, my name there is AbleGirl but my real name is Katie!

I was going to come down and meet you and watch the festival but couldn't as I was busy. Maybe next year. Hmm... ( thinking mode!)
Any way your blog is fantastic! keep posting and feel free to comment on my blog if you want!
www.personaleyeview.blogspot.com

See you around,
Katie aka AbleGirl

5:17 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your comments, I have a look at your blog definitely:-)

Marmite

9:48 am

 
Blogger Agent Fang said...

Aww, Marmiteboy, I was there too, but I missed you! All the stewards I saw were stickless. Wasn't it a cool and groovy thang?! Roll on next year (I'll just about have read all the free leaflets I collected and worn out the two t-shirts by then). Nice blog btw.

4:44 pm

 
Blogger marmiteboy said...

Thanks Fang,

I was in the veiwing area, at the back, right hand side of the stage as you looked at it. I was probably sitting down most of the time though.

It was a grand day out wasn't it?

Bloody hot though.

Cheers

marmite

PS I'll link to you top blog once I've worked out Lukes instructions.

9:53 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home